Subject: Re: Roto
From: [email-masked] (Sean Cunningham)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 16:00:31 -0700 (PDT)

(...lots-o-stuff deleted regarding flare job...)

:) Roto in lightwave is not one of the best features in the current version
:) of the package.  The method works ok for roto motion that does not need
:) to match other sources.  If you are looking to match live action scenes I 
:) think it is a big leap - at least until the PC & SGI version are ready!
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How so?  The Windows and SGI version are going to feature the same interface
as the Amiga version of Lightwave (from the Siggraph eyewitness accounts that
I read recently).  The current viewport methodology is the problem, not the
Amiga.  A viewport with programmable resolution and aspect ratio will solve
this problem...there is no magic in an Intel processor or MIPS chip that
tends to make rotoscoping work or not work.   

In fact, even with the current scenario accurate rotoscoping can be achieved,
it will just take more work than it really should (as if rotoscoping were not
already a pain in the rear).  I intend to work out the methodology completely
if I have a chance this weekend, but the gist of it should be to "pad" your
BG plates so that they load into the viewport unsqueezed in any way.  You then
make use of the LIMITED REGION rendering option, bumping up your output
resolution settings within the interface until the resolution of your LIMITED
REGION crop window matches your desired final output. It's not very elegant,
but its better than adding the extra effort and expense of fixing your roto
in post (if it can be fixed), especially on something as expensive as the 
FLAME.  

:) 					Mark Swain
:) 					(Colossal) Pictures
:) 					[email-masked]
:) 
:) ====================
:) Mark Swain
:) (Colossal) Pictures
:) [email-masked]
:) ====================